Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crock Pot Crosspost: This Is Nerdery!

If you're a nerd, you may have just taken the Jeopardy! online contestant test like I just did. I think I did pretty well, but this is my first crack at it, so I don't really know what, if anything, "pretty well" gets you in this game show application game. I can assume, based on the fact that there's a Jeopardy! newsletter and numerous Jeopardy! fan sites, that trying out for Jeopardy! is its own nerd subculture, and since I'm already an active participant in several other nerd subcultures that take up a goodly amount of my time, it's not one I'll be joining.

I did have fun taking the test, however, and it got me thinking about the guy who pwned Jeopardy! week after week yet humbly accepted defeat at the hands of a dweeby supercomputer named Watson (which I personally think is a dumb name for a supercomputer, I would have named it something cooler like...Supe...Supey...no, Super Duper...Pooper Shooter the Supercomputer, or Jim), the one and only Ken Jennings. Yeah, I know there are probably, like, two hundred people named Ken Jennings in various phone books throughout the U.S., but you know what I meant.

Ken Jennings is not only a Jeopardy!-slaying beast, he's a pretty funny guy. Which is why today's CPCP is from Ken Jennings' blog, Confessions of a Trivial Mind.

Crosspost:

KJ's blog FAQs, the most Jeopardy!-tryout related work of literature on these united webbernets.

I found KJ's responses to the questions frequently asked of him endearing and clever. And now that I know he does a Wordplay Wednesday feature on his blog, I think I'm becoming a fan. What are Ken Jennings fans called, anyway? Jemmings? Like Jennings combined with lemmings? Or human supercomputer superfans...who area also human? That one's kind of wordy. I don't know what we're called (yup, I used "we", so I think that makes my fandom official) but we're out there! Get used to it! Kick rocks, Watsonites!

Crock Pot Recipe:


In honor of today's game show theme, I present crock pot Cornish game hens as today's recipe, courtesy of Greyson Ferguson at About.com.

Happy reading and bon app!

1 comment:

  1. Note: I added a new blog label, "nerdery", relizing that it's superfluous, redundant, iterative, and reiterative, since most of what I have to say is, above most else, nerdish. That being said, this post seemed especially nerdy, so I decided it warranted a nerd warning label. This is similar to a trigger warning, but for people who have nerd aversion.

    ReplyDelete